The CHW aide like the CHW will occupy the front lines of patient advocacy and provide education/support to the community to improve lifestyle and connect them with appropriate healthcare options. The training will cover critical principles to understand the role, responsibilities and expectations of the candidates.
These will include:
- Understanding the background and healthcare issues in our community
- A thorough coverage of COVID 19, tracing principles, vaccines and reasons behind hesitancy of individuals to receive vaccinations
- Coordinating physical healthcare, mental and/or behavioral care for the overall health and wellness of the client
- Principles of effective communication
- Understanding boundaries with the relationship with clients
- Principles of coaching, you will often work with individuals to change unhealthy or destructive behaviors and improve overall health and wellness, coaching allows CHWs to help clients to improve their overall health and well-being by discontinuing harmful behaviors and adopting, healthier ones
- Code of Ethics and laws re Privacy, confidentiality and HIPPA because CHWs often are exposed to clients’ medical records
- Understanding the concepts of engaging respectfully with different “cultures” and respecting the culture of the clients, concept is extended to reflect a client’s complete diversity, which includes their age, gender identity, ability, religion, sexual identity or orientation, socioeconomic status, and more
Many other approaches to be an effective CHW aide will be covered that will make you an effective aide embedded within the networks of CBOs, medical and social service providers within the SI community. Therefore, after successful completion of the on-line training module, you will be mentored by community based and hospital personnel at actual service locations acquiring real life experience. This is a serious opportunity for individuals to have a true interest in healthcare as a potential career.